Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm not one to complain...

Okay, so I usually like to try to keep my posts cheery and upbeat...this one is neither!
Lately it has been a challenge having any type of sleep schedule with Morgan. We used to be able to read her 2 books, say prayers, sing 2 songs, and then I could leave, she would sweetly say "Good night Mommy" and that was simply that. Now however, when we tell her it's time to read books, she says "NO!" and then our new sleep routine begins:
Morgan Screams
We tell her we love her
Morgan Screams
We remind ourselves we love her
Morgan Screams
We ditch her in her room
Morgan Screams about Monsters and pulls on the door
We hold the door shut
Morgan freaks out
I tell her if she calms down I will come in and read her books
Morgan says, "I DON'T WANT MY MOMMY. I WANT MY DADDY"
The end.
(JD only goes in after she has calmed down, mind you)
Oh wait, that's the end until about 3 in the morning, when she generally wakes up till around 5 and during which time we replay our lovely bedtime routine. Except this one usually ends with JD coming in to relieve me before Morgan gets to the point where she exiles me and only wants her knight in shining armor father.
And then, she's up at 7:30 (which is a blessing I know...if she were up any earlier I think one of us would have to be committed)
So, Morgan was having an all out melt down this afternoon, and I've noticed a pattern with these things. When she has had several nights in a row of the aforementioned sleeping schedule, she gets this way. And all she needs is a nap and a good night's sleep and we usually have our Sweet Thing back again. When the melt down began, I tried to just get around it and move on, but she would not have any of it...It was a full on kicking, screaming, spittle-flying freak out. It didn't take me long to realize that even though it was 3 o'clock and too late for a nap, that was what this kid really needed.
We headed to her room (I'm carrying her, she's flailing) and I got out Cat in the Hat, got to about the part where the fish says the cat is a bad idea..and Morgan has fallen into a chant "I DON'T WANT A BOOK I WANT TO GO IN THE LIVING ROOM!" Breathe "I WANT TO GO IN THE LIVING ROOM" Breathe "I WANT TO GO IN THE LIVING ROOM!" Breathe. I responded with, "Morgan, I know you don't want to go to sleep, but it has GOT to happen. Its time to calm down."
"I WANT TO GO IN THE LIVING ROOM!"
"Its time to calm down"
"LIVING ROOM!"
"I am giving you 10 seconds to calm down, and then I am leaving you in here all alone"
"I......WANT..... TO........GO..........IN.......THE.........LIVING.......ROOM!!!!!!!"
So I left.
And she screamed.
2 hours later, at 5 o'clock in the evening, she has finally given in and fallen asleep. She will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, go to sleep tonight now.
What am I supposed to do??????

3 comments:

Jordan & Rhonda said...

Oh Bryt, I'm so sorry. This has got to be so frustrating. I hope you guys can figure things out. I wish I had some great advice but I don't really have any parenting experiences. Be consistant though.

RHulsey said...

I just don't know pal. We set a bedtime for Connor and we are pretty consistent with it, even on nights that Aaron doesn't get home until after bedtime. It has really helped because now his body is used to the schedule. I know things might work differently for an almost 3-year-old, but I think your idea of making a schedule might really be worth a shot.

Alicia said...

I'm sorry to hear she's having a hard time sleeping!!! I can totally relate!!!! Hunter AND Connor have both gone through phases when they don't sleep (like Connor for the last 3 months :). But with Hunter, we have usually been able to get him back on track by simply :) I say simply...but as you know it is MUCH MUCH harder then that!!! But any ways...sticking to what we say. He definitely tries to get around it, but we just have to be consistant and eventually he learns that it's just easier to choose to go to sleep then to fight it. The times that he usually starts this is when he is sick or something else has disrupted his schedule...like holidays, new brothers, being up late or no naps...good luck!!! It is so hard to remain patient...at least for me, but I know you guys will do great!!!