Saturday, July 14, 2012

85* in July? No stinkin' way!



Yesterday it was overcast and I couldn't believe it but the high until about noon was only 85! We have been living in 110 to 115 degree hotness for the last 2 months so when I saw it was only going to be about 85 we loaded up and went out on a nature scavenger hunt.
JD had already been out hiking since 7 that morning for an independent research credit class he is doing this summer (researching lichens....ooooooooh and aaaaaaaaah :) but when I was buckling up the kids he called and said he was headed home so he met us for another 2 hours of hiking. Sometimes, I just really love that man :)
The scavenger hunt consisted of:
   Something fuzzy
   Something smooth
   Something straight
   2 kinds of seeds
   Something rough
   2 kinds of leaves
   Something green
   A chewed on leaf
   A stick
   Something you think is beautiful
   A beautiful rock
   Something you think is a treasure


The kids were pulling some seeds off this bush. It's a good thing that JD is smart about plants because I would have never guessed those things were seeds!



The kids (okay and the grownups too) were so excited to see this guy! There are people who have lived in St George their whole lives and still never seen one of the local desert tortoises. We felt special to be able to see it.




                               And this guy reminded me SO much of my childhood!





The kids had a blast. Ian was cracking me up carrying around his "purse" but the best part was JD's response every time Ian would say purse. "Son, it's a bag. You're a boy. It's a bag." hahaha!



I didn't find anything fuzzy or smooth- I wasn't really looking. But one thing I did find, was something that I think is a treasure. 

They were kind of hard to miss :)




1 comment:

RHulsey said...

Awww, I love your treasure, that was precious. Also, I imagined you doing your hike in a forest and wondered to myself how far you were going to drive for your nature scavenger hunt. Now I see it was a desert hike, and I think, "ope, der. I'm a dumb."