Monday, February 10, 2014

Growing up, I went through several phases of things that I absolutely loved. I tend to either be obsessed with something, or not really care so much. These phases would come and go, and there really aren't very many things that I LOVED during my childhood that I continue to LOVE today.  However, I did bring one great love with me into adulthood: Harry Potter.

I know what you're thinking, "Sheesh what a nerd." Yes, it's true. I am a Harry Potter nerd through and through. (and apparently a poet)  And because of this, I could not have been more excited than I was a few weeks ago, as I cracked the very first Harry Potter book open to read it to the kids. Ahhhhhh....it was a delectable moment. Okay, actually, no it wasn't. Morgan kept asking what book it was, and I kept not telling her, dancing around the question, because I knew if she knew what it was before she was hooked, she wouldn't want me to read it anymore. And, true to form, as soon as I caved and told her it was Harry Potter she insisted I stop reading. But oh no, I wasn't gonna give up on my love that easily, nope, nope, nope. So I told her we would read it for 3 nights and if she still didn't want me to read it, we could stop. It didn't even take 3 pages :)
Since then, we blew through the first book in less than 10 days and are now about half way through the second book. Morgan and Ian pretty much always play Harry Potter together. Ian always has something sticking out of his pocket that is serving as his wand.
A couple of highlights from the minds of my babes:
  Ian: "Mom, I think the slytherins are slytherins because they slither. Like so they are slitherers. But really actually slytherins."
 Morgan (while pretending to be a professor at Hogwarts) : "Gryffindor, that will be 10 points awarded to you for fine work. Slytherin, you may go now, you are never good."

 Morgan spends a good amount of the time upset about the injustice in the Hogwarts teaching system. "The teachers NEVER listen to Harry! They always just make him be quiet so they can take points away when REALLY he wasn't even doing anything wrong!" She is currently holding a grudge against Dumbledore for leaving Harry with the Dursleys and she is holding out hope that he will be able to live with the Weasley's from now on :)
 Morgan is also phenomenal at guessing the plot line and twists in the story before they show up. I don't know how she does it, but so far, she has guessed about 90% of the things before they happen. I'd say that's a pretty good success rate for a 6 year old!
Ian pretty much perks up when there is talk about boogers, quidditch, or the word "muggle". Anytime I read that word, he screams at me to not call him a muggle. Apparently it's pretty bad :)
It has been so fun sharing something with them that I love so much. And, as you can see, I think they love it too :)

1 comment:

RHulsey said...

Bahaha! "Slytherin, you may go now, you are never good." Priceless Morgan. And also very true.
I can't wait to see which side she thinks Snape is on.