Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Potty Training!


So, I was going to wait a few days to post an update on the whole potty training thing, because I wanted to be able to beam with pride at how my little girl was potty trained, completly, in 3 days. Well, I think when I am being realistic, its best to just accept that is not likely to happen!!!

I decided to use the book, "Potty Train your Child in Just One Day" by Teri Crane. I think it has the idea right, but I just feel like giving parents the idea that it is all going to be done in a day is just a little bit wrong! I did my best to follow the steps to a T, but like I said, we are not completely trained yet!


You start the day with you and your child training a baby doll to use the big girl potty. Morgan LOVED this. It was so great to play with her all morning and to see her expressions when she was being excited for her doll, Oreo, to successfully use the potty!


After her nap, Morgan got to open a present: Her big girl undies! She was so excited and totally willing to put those puppies on!!! Morgan learned quickly that each time she went potty she got a present, a treat, and a sticker for her chart!

We were both so excited everytime she went and she really loved sitting on that potty!

She loved the whole thing and it was GREAT to be able to have my parents over for our potty party at the end of the day celebrating Morgan learning to use the potty. It was even BETTER to be able to say she'd had not a single accident!



Well, at about bedtime, the inevitable happened: accident numero uno. But, we talked about how it was okay when we are learning, and we just put on a new pair of undies (she was so sad to see her favorite pair not be wearable anymore though)
I was nervous for over night, but I didn't need to be! She did great, no accidents all night long! She even agreed to try going potty when she first woke up at 5:00 this morning, although, as you can see, she was not quite ready for the day yet!

As the day went on, she refused to go potty at all until about 10:30 this morning, when she just couldn't hold it any longer and went all over the bathroom floor. Then, we had a successful try at about 11:30. Since then, no more successes. And a few more accidents.

I have to admit, I was getting annoyed. She would sit there, for 5 minutes or more, and adamantly say she didn't have to go. Then, she would stand up, and we would have an accident to clean up within 20 seconds! So, I thought I was being smart when I gathered all the potty books and told her she needed to sit on the potty the whole time I took a shower. This is what happened instead:
It was good for me to peek out the shower curtain to see my little naked girl asleep on the floor. It reminded me that she is so so sweet, and even if she is telling me she is done trying, she is not purposefully trying to tick me off by going on the floor. It reminded me that she is 2, not 20. And it reminded me to just be patient.

So, we are still working on it, but I am doing it with a better outlook then I had when I started the whole thing. I know eventually, one day, it will happen!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

There is definitely progress there!!! It is totally frusterating...but you are right and I think you just have to have an understanding outlook on it. I also think that is another reason why I haven't been pushing Hunter to it. Because I don't think I am ready to be patient enough...but hopefully soon we will both be ready. Good job Morgan and Bryt!!!

RHulsey said...

That potty party looked like so much fun! I wish I would get a party for going to the bathroom.